Acute Myeloid Leukemia patient from the Philippines seeks help – Only 30 percent of patients who need a bone marrow transplant have a matching donor in their families (Thanks God we have a MATCHED DONOR IN THE FAMILY!). The remaining 70 percent must hope that a compatible stranger can be found using the national registry.
Only 2 percent of population is on the national registry.
A significant number of those on the national bone marrow registry cannot be located or will not donate when asked to do so. The percentages of donors who are available and willing are: 65 for Caucasians; 47 percent for Hispanics; 44 percent for Asians; 34 percent for African-Americans.
At least 1,000 people die each year because they cannot find a matching donor.
70 percent of marrow donations use peripheral blood stem cell apheresis.
30 percent of marrow donations use the traditional method of putting a needle in your hip.
Donating bone marrow is safe: More than 35,000 people have donated bone marrow to a stranger without a single donor death.
[Data gathered by the Institute for Justice]